Ultimate Guide to Glass Flooring
Everything You Need to Know about Glass Floors
You know glass floors are bold, visually interesting, modern, and timeless. But you still have questions about them. Whether you’re looking to install in a private residence or a commercial space, here’s the ultimate guide to everything you need to know about glass flooring.
Got Glass Floor Questions? Here Are Your Answers
What Is Glass Flooring?
Glass flooring is a type of architectural glass product. It’s a walkable surface using tempered glass specifically designed for this application.
Glass Flooring and Safety
The first—and most important—question you should ask yourself before committing to glass flooring is about safety.
Lots of glass manufacturers have the machinery and capability to create glass flooring, but not every manufacturer has the experience, expertise, and know-how to ensure that flooring is as safe as possible.
Before you agree to work with a given manufacturer, get details about the four main safety components of glass floors:
- Type of glass
- Anti-slip glass
- Failure redundancy
- Glass thickness
Get all the detailed information you need about glass flooring safety here:
- Are Glass Floors Safe? 5 Myths about Glass Flooring Debunked
- 5 Questions to Ask to Ensure Your Glass Flooring Is Safe
- Are Glass Floors Slippery?
- Is Glass Flooring Heavy?
What Kind of Glass Is Used in Glass Floors?
Glass floors should always be made from tempered glass, also known as safety glass.
Tempered glass is about four times stronger than annealed glass, and if it ever fails, tempered glass breaks into small, less sharp shards. Annealed glass breaks into large, jagged pieces.
From these two safety perspectives (strength and failure), any glass flooring or walkable skylight project must use tempered glass.
Is Glass Flooring Difficult to Maintain?
No. Properly designed glass flooring is very easy to maintain. To ensure the look of your glass flooring for years to come, make sure the manufacturer is treating your flooring with an anti-scratch surface.
For everyday maintenance, keep these pointers in mind:
- Feather dusters and other non-abrasive products are best for glass.
- Glass is nonporous and doesn’t stain, so there’s no need to rush or panic with spills.
- Combat streaks with distilled water or vinegar.
- Regular maintenance should include all parts of the flooring (glass, grout, adhesives, fasteners, hardware)
Learn more about how to clean glass floors.
How Customizable Is Glass Flooring Design?
Glass flooring is highly customizable. With the guidance of your glass manufacturer and project engineer, you can choose glass panel:
- Anti-slip treatment
Learn more here: Is Glass Flooring Customizable?
One big design consideration is how to make glass flooring private.
If this a concern for your residence or business, consider any of these three options:
- Frosted glass rather than fully transparent glass
- Cast glass incorporating distorting patterns or textures
- Colored glass
Outdoor Glass Flooring
If you’re specifically looking to design an exterior glass floor, think through these considerations:
- Slip-resistant glass
- Anti-scratch treatment
- Expected weight load
- Surrounding environment
- Livable space below
- Thermal loss
Get more details here: Top Considerations for Outdoor Glass Flooring
Is Glass Flooring Right for Me?
Glass flooring is a growing trend, and it’s easy to see why. It’s both modern and timeless. Bold and complimentary. Functional and stunning.
It’s not, however, the right design choice for every residence or business.
If you’re on the fence, run through this quick checklist of questions:
- Do you want more natural light in the space?
- Do you want a modern, streamlined aesthetic?
- What will be below the glass flooring?
- What’s your budget?
- Is the space compatible with the glass flooring you want, as well as a proper support system?
Get an even more detailed breakdown here: 5 Questions to Ask Yourself before Choosing Glass Flooring
What Are the Benefits of Glass Flooring?
Even though glass floors are not the cheapest flooring option, they do offer a laundry list of benefits in a home or commercial space.
- Durability, including resistance to corrosion, weather, water, stains, hard water etching, and impact
- Modern, stunning aesthetics
- Aesthetically compatible building material
- Unique design
- Enhancement of natural light and appearance of space
- Environmental benefits and natural insulation properties
- Ease of maintenance
Get a detailed rundown here: Top Glass Flooring Benefits
I Still Have Glass Floor Questions
Wondering about something this guide didn’t cover? Don’t forget to check out our glass flooring FAQs, or reach out to us directly.
We’re always happy to answer your questions, to provide project estimates, or to discuss your upcoming project using architectural glass products.